If you grew up in an Italian household you’ve heard about sangweeches. They’re the Italian Grandma’s version of a sandwich and I’m not talking a bologna or PBJ sanwich. This sandwich usually has an egg involved or a hot pepper or maybe capicola or mortadella!
Here’s Sandro’s latest version. It’s an egg, veggies and melted cheese on focaccia bread. You can use any kind of Italian bread but the focaccia makes this one special!
With most people on holiday tomorrow treat the family to a nice Sandro’s Special Sangweech in the morning. Remember to honor our those who have served our country!
- 2 eggs or 2 per sandwich
- ½ green pepper - sliced
- ½ red bell pepper or use a hot Italian pepper if you like heat! Sliced.
- ½ onion sliced
- Scrambled hot italian sausage - this is optional if you want to add meat
- Cheese - sharp cheddar
- Focaccia bread or Italian bread
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a medium frying pan and add the olive oil to the pan.
- Add the peppers with a little salt and pepper and fry until almost cooked.
- Add the onions with a touch more of salt and pepper and cook until tender.
- If adding sausage fry in a separate pan until cooked and then add to the peppers and onions.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl and and whisk.
- Add the eggs to the veggies allowing to form and fold into the veggies.
- When eggs are nearly done top with the cheese, cover the pan until the cheese is melted.
- Serve on bread.