I think if anyone knows me well you know I L-O-V-E love football! In fact there are some Sunday’s in my house that the men in the family beg of me not to have to watch one more game! Can you believe it! But that’s me, I’ve been watching football since I can remember. If they let girls play back in my day I would have played football. Today I was listening to the commissioner of the NFL who states the female fan base is getting bigger and is very significant to pro football. It’s about time the rest of you women caught up with me! 🙂 Just kidding of course. So here is a great chili recipe to serve the family on Sunday. Chili is the go to dish for Super Bowl Sunday!
- 1 Lb of ground beef 85/15
- 1 Medium onion - diced
- 2 cloves of garlic - peeled and halved
- 1 green bell pepper -chopped
- 1 red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chili power - to your tolerance of heat
- 2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of coriander
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ½ tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsps of Olive Oil
- You can also add a can of mushrooms if desired.
- Over medium heat add 1 tbsp of olive oil and garlic to large soup pot and sauté the garlic until golden brown. Add the chopped red and green peppers and cook for a couple of minutes and then add the diced onions and add salt and pepper and garlic salt to taste and saute for 3 or 4 minutes.
- In a separate skillet over medium heat add the other tbsp. of olive oil and the ground beef - crush the beef and add salt and pepper to flavor the beef. When the beef is browned drain off the extra fat and set aside.
- Once the pepper and onions have been cooked add the kidney and cannellini beans as well as the crushed tomatoes to the pot. Add more salt, pepper, sugar, cinnamon, cumin, coriander and chili powder. After the extra fat has drained from beef add that as well. Simmer on low covered for about an hour. Taste and add more seasoning as needed. Once seasoning is set to your appeal simmer for about another 15-30 minutes and serve!
At the Mironti household we like to serve this with cheddar fries! It’s a Super Bowl Sunday tradition!
Although I know that this is a big NFL weekend I spend many Saturday afternoons at my alma mater watching my team play and I know they are going to be more and more successful! I can’t wait until next year!